Since founding the Discotexas imprint alongside Moullinex and Mr. Mitsuhirato, Xinobi has been responsible for releases from a number of top shelf producers, including the likes of Crackazat, Anja Schneider, Tensnake, Damian Lazarus, and Seb Wildblood.
His own music has also come on well respected imprints such as Anjunadeep, Frau Blau, and Ministry of Sound, as well as a bunch of appearances on Discotexas itself.
This April the Portuguese native will return to his label for the release of his third career studio album, and his first in over four years. ‘Balsame’ will bring ten tracks of colourful electronica and house, and feature collaborative efforts from Meta, Aram, and others.
Joining us for this months edition of 40 Questions, Xinobi mentions everything from Seth Rogan and Mexican candy, to enraged club owners, and Nirvana. Read the full feature below.
1. Where are you right now and what are you doing?
I’m in my attic, seated on an old couch, mixing a tune.
2. What year were you born?
3. Do you have a nickname?
Xinobi or Gazelle.
4. What’s the coolest thing in your house?
My whippet randomly running around.
5. How would you describe yourself?
Grown up kid.
6. Worst experience as a DJ?
Arriving in a city and discovering the promoter was arrested the night before.
7. Best experience as a DJ?
Playing a new tune for the first time to a euphoric crowd.
8. Favourite record label?
9. What’s your biggest weakness?
10. First record you ever paid for?
Nirvana – Nevermind on cassette.
11. What’s your morning routine?
Make my bed, mix a banana with cereal and rice milk, drink tea, meditate in the garden and then open my computer. I might sneak in a small check on socials in between.
12. Your dream collaboration?
Scientist. But I wouldn’t have the courage to even try.
13. Tell us something we shouldn’t know about you?
I’ve been writing a book about it.
14. Who’s your biggest inspiration outside of music?
15. And in the industry?
16. Ever smoked?
17. Ever done drugs?
None. Well, I tried weed long time ago.
18. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
A Gretsch guitar.
19. And the best gift you’ve ever given?
20. What’s the coolest place you’ve ever been to?
A remote place in Lombok, with the best ocean in front of you.
21. And one place you want to visit?
22. If you weren’t in the music industry, what would you be doing?
Probably (hopefully) a writer.
23. Worst job you’ve ever had?
Designing Christmas cards during the peak of Portuguese summer.
24. Favourite record right now?
Turnstile – Glow.
25. And the best record ever made?
Depends on the day. Today: The Field – From Here We Go Sublime.
26. One thing you couldn’t live without?
27. Your favourite food?
28. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
A homemade spicy candy in Mexico. I can’t remember the name. It wasn’t bad though.
29. Who would you want to play you in a movie?
Seth Rogen. This is a big dream. Seth, if by any chance you read this, feel free to play me.
30. What’s something you’re passionate about besides music?
Traveling south to experience vegetarian versions of local food.
31. Favourite club you’ve played?
That might be Diente de Lion in Cholula, México.
32. Favourite festival you’ve played?
Night + Day in Lisbon.
33. Craziest story of being on the road?
Have I told you about the promoter that was arrested before picking me up at the airport? Let me tell you just a small part of another story. I was playing at a club and the promoter comes in, in panic mode: “Can you play Madonna?”, and I was like “What?”, and he insisted while briefly explaining: “The owner of the club and his wife arrived, they never come to our nights, but this time they came, they don’t like this music, they want Madonna or something similar, would you kindly play it?” And me “I can’t, sorry”. He said “Let my girlfriend give you a usb with pop tracks and you can play a few songs?”. “I’m sorry, I really should not do that”.
Suddenly I have this well-dressed guy strongly grabbing and hurting my arm while shouting “You are the worst DJ ever. Get out of my club”, blah blah blah with a lot of offensive words. He then tells the promoter “None of you will get paid. And you have to pay for the bar costs”. Promoter starts to cry and is begging me if I could not get paid my fee as he broke in that second. The story is way longer, but let’s stop here.
34. Weirdest request as a DJ?
“Can you serve me a beer please?”.
35. If you had one super power what would it be?
36. Late sleeper or early riser?
Late sleeper, more and more on my way to being an early riser.
37. Strangest video you’ve watched on YouTube?
38. The top thing on your bucket list?
To be a father.
39. Most memorable moment of your life so far?
My wedding. But I’m sure the most memorable moment is yet to come soon.
40. Will you ever be done with music?
Find more 40 Questions HERE.
Xinobi – Balsame drops April 8th on Discotexas.