Berlin-based techno double act Pan-Pot need little introduction to fans of the genre at this point, as over the last two decades they have played to pretty much every reputable dancefloor that fits their sound, and released music on leading imprints such as MOOD, Mobilee Records, Watergate Records, and Bedrock.
2014 saw the pair launch a record label of their own in Second State, where they have since built up a sought-after catalogue of club focused sounds, and welcomed appearances from names like Amelie Lens, Shlomi Aber, Risa Taniguchi, Harvey McKay, and Joyhauser.
They’re currently preparing for the forthcoming release of their debut studio album – ‘FORTE’ – which delivers plenty of what they’ve become known for as producers and offers a glimpse at the future state of their sound too.
We welcome them both to take on our 40 Questions series ahead of the album’s release, where they spoke about everything from their dream collaboration and who inspires them the most, to their morning routine and what they’re grateful for outside of music. Read the full feature below.
1. Where are you right now and what are you doing?
Thomas: I’m on a daybed and my kids are swimming in the pool.
Tassilo: At home in my office.
2. What year were you born?
3. Do you have a nickname?
4. What’s the coolest thing in your house?
Thomas: My turntables.
Tassilo: My man cave.
5. How would you describe yourself?
Thomas: Chaotic and passionate.
Tassilo: Highly motivated.
6. Worst experience as a DJ?
Thomas: Playing when I’m tired.
Tassilo: Definitely equipment failure.
7. Best experience as a DJ?
Thomas: When it’s running without thought.
Tassilo: Being one with the crowd and the music. As Thomas said, no thought, just letting go.
8. Favourite record label?
Tassilo: Second State in the beginning, Second State in the future.
9. What’s your biggest weakness?
Thomas: I am impulsive.
10. First record you ever paid for?
Thomas: Thunderdome 1.
Tassilo: Coatnoise – Skin.
11. What’s your morning routine?
Thomas: Coffee, drawing, kids to school, and exercise.
Tassilo: Coffee, dancing and singing with my daughter and wife, daughter to childcare, and then exercise.
12. Your dream collaboration?
Thomas: The Prodigy.
Tassilo: M83 or The Prodigy.
13. Tell us something we shouldn’t know about you?
Thomas: I love the stars and space.
Tassilo: I was supposed to become a teacher.
14. Who’s your biggest inspiration outside of music?
Thomas: Jean-Luc Picard.
Tassilo: Right now, Christian von Koenigsegg.
15. And in the industry?
Thomas: Ricardo Villalobos.
Tassilo: Laurent Garnier.
16. Ever smoked?
Thomas: I did, but I stopped.
Tassilo: I do.
17. Ever done drugs?
Thomas: Yes and I still do occasionally.
Tassilo: Tried a few things.
18. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
Thomas: Real love.
Tassilo: My daughter.
19. And the best gift you’ve ever given?
Thomas: I always give perfume or cremes.
20. What’s the coolest place you’ve ever been to?
Thomas: Atacama Desert.
Tassilo: Muir Woods, CA.
21. And one place you want to visit?
Thomas: North or south pole.
22. If you weren’t in the music industry, what would you be doing?
Thomas: I love adventures and physics. I don’t know what exactly I would be doing but probably an Astronaut.
Tassilo: Some cool corporate job.
23. Worst job you’ve ever had?
Thomas: I was a chef and I hated it back then, but nowadays I love my skills.
24. Favourite record right now?
Thomas: Club 49 – Kenji Hi .
Tassilo: Pan-Pot – CODE.
25. And the best record ever made?
Thomas: Wishmountain – Radio.
Tassilo: Laurent Garnier – Crispy Bacon.
26. One thing you couldn’t live without?
Thomas: My kids.
27. Your favourite food?
Thomas: Pasta vongole, and fish in general.
Tassilo: Vegan bolognese.
28. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
29. Who would you want to play you in a movie?
Thomas: Colonel Shepherd in Stargate Atlantis.
Tassilo: Bud Spencer.
30. What’s something you’re passionate about besides music?
Thomas: Gaming and hiking.
Tassilo: Sport in general, and nature.
31. Favourite club you’ve played?
Thomas: Always Watergate.
32. Favourite festival you’ve played?
Thomas: Time Warp.
Tassilo: Time Warp.
33. Craziest story of being on the road?
Thomas: I almost drowned on a boat in Hawaii at an after party.
Tassilo: Yeah the Hawaii party thing was the weirdest.
34. Weirdest request as a DJ?
Thomas: I actually never take music requests but there were many I can’t really tell.
Tassilo: Oh so many. When people ask you for deep house tracks at a rave.
35. If you had one super power what would it be?
Thomas: Controlling time.
Tassilo: Creating peace.
36. Late sleeper or early riser?
Thomas: Super early riser.
Tassilo: Early riser.
37. Strangest video you’ve watched on YouTube?
38. The top thing on your bucket list?
Thomas: Traveling to Easter Island or to the moon.
Tassilo: Moving back into nature.
39. Most memorable moment of your life so far?
Thomas: When my kids were born.
Tassilo: Same, the birth of my daughter.
40. Will you ever be done with music?
Thomas: Yes and no, the way I work and consume it will change.
Pan-Pot – FORTE LP drops November 17th on Second State.
Find more 40 Questions HERE.