Born in Nigeria, now based in London, Nicole Moudaber has become one of the most successful techno DJs in the world. Alongside names like Carl Cox, Monika Kruse, and Sven Väth, Moudaber has flourished into a titan of the genre, and someone who has a unique ability to completely command a dancefloor.
She has released music on top imprints such as MUTE, Hot Creations, Intec, and Drumcode, though it’s her work with her own MOOD label that has really cemented her legacy as one of the elite. MOOD has seen appearances from some of club music’s best, including Chris Liebing, Josh Butler, Eats Everything, and Klaudia Gawlas.
Nicole takes control of our 40 Questions series this month, where she talks about her keen interest in motorsport, her love for activism, and her biggest inspiration outside of music, alongside mentions of Penelope Cruz, fried crickets, and sky diving, among other things. Get the full 40 Questions with Nicole Moudaber below.
1. Where are you right now and what are you doing?
In London, heading over to the studio.
2. What year were you born?
That would be giving up how young I am.
3. Do you have a nickname?
Nico or Coco La Leona.
4. What’s the coolest thing in your house?
My Funktion One sound system and Diavelt phantom speakers.
5. How would you describe yourself?
I’m humble, but I let motherfuckers know.
6. Worst experience as a DJ?
7. Best experience as a DJ?
The connection with my fans.
8. Favourite record label?
Too many to mention, CLR, Drumcode, Classic, Hot Creations, to name a few.
9. What’s your biggest weakness?
I’m too emotional, I care a lot.
10. First record you ever paid for?
Fela Kuti – Teacher, Don’t Teach Me Nonsense.
11. What’s your morning routine?
Coffee and cigarettes.
12. Your dream collaboration?
13. Tell us something we shouldn’t know about you?
14. Who’s your biggest inspiration outside of music?
15. And in the industry?
16. Ever smoked?
17. Ever done drugs?
For recreational purposes only, I don’t have an addictive personality for drugs. Just nicotine!
18. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
When I opened up to the universe. My mind just expanded tenfold.
19. And the best gift you’ve ever given?
I’m a giver to everyone in need, it elevates me.
20. What’s the coolest place you’ve ever been to?
21. And one place you want to visit?
22. If you weren’t in the music industry, what would you be doing?
I’m already an activist, I think I’d take it to the next level if I wasn’t an artist.
23. Worst job you’ve ever had?
24. Favourite record right now?
Chris Liebing – Patterns (Nicole Moudaber Remix).
25. And the best record ever made?
Masters At Work – Shout N Out (The DJ Dub).
26. One thing you couldn’t live without?
Shiseido face cream.
27. Your favourite food?
28. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
29. Who would you want to play you in a movie?
30. What’s something you’re passionate about besides music?
Super cars and boats.
31. Favourite club you’ve played?
Output, New York, Space Miami, and Stereo Montreal.
32. Favourite festival you’ve played?
Too many to mention.
33. Craziest story of being on the road?
The police stopped me once for a search in Bulgaria, they ended up taking pictures with me.
34. Weirdest request as a DJ?
Being asked to play longer because the VIP table behind me was spending money.
35. If you had one super power what would it be?
36. Late sleeper or early riser?
Early riser, only recently though.
37. Strangest video you’ve watched on YouTube?
I don’t have a lot of free time, so I tend not to be on YouTube watching videos!
38. The top thing on your bucket list?
39. Most memorable moment of your life so far?
When Paris Hilton bowed and kissed my feet. LOVE her!
40. Will you ever be done with music?
Find more 40 Questions HERE.