Brazilian-born, now Austria-based producer, DJ, and label owner Joyce Muniz has been a long standing authority for house music on an international level.
Her past releases have came via record labels such as Exploited, Gruuv, Culprit, and Pets Recordings. The latter of which she recently returned to for the release of her new Flashes On The Floor EP – which also includes an excellent remix from Fouk.
Alongside a wealth of quality output from her own studio, Joyce Muniz has also been responsible for sheltering productions from names like Eric Rose, Ken Hayakawa, and Demetrius on her own Black Diamonds Records.
We welcome her to our latest edition of 40 Questions, where she mentions everything from Björk and learning French, to Britney Spears and the Amazon jungle.
1. Where are you right now and what are you doing?
I’m sitting on the train from Munich to Vienna, answering these fun questions.
2. What year were you born?
3. Do you have a nickname?
4. What’s the coolest thing in your house?
5. How would you describe yourself?P
Sincere, generous, and hard working.
6. Worst experience as a DJ?
Playing at an Apré-Ski party in the Austrian Mountains.
7. Best experience as a DJ?
My first gig at Flex Club in Vienna, at the age of 17.
8. Favourite record label?
9. What’s your biggest weakness?
I can get very anxious sometimes.
10. First record you ever paid for?
A Tribe Called Quest – People’s Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm.
11. What’s your morning routine?
First thing in the morning I drink warm lime water then stretch (Pilates), after that I have my breakfast.
12. Your dream collaboration?
Working with Björk would be awesome.
13. Tell us something we shouldn’t know about you?
I cry when I watch romantic movies or world disasters, I cry very easily.
14. Who’s your biggest inspiration outside of music?
15. And in the industry?
16. Ever smoked?
17. Ever done drugs?
18. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
My first computer.
19. And the best gift you’ve ever given?
My little brother’s first studio monitors.
20. What’s the coolest place you’ve ever been to?
The Amazon jungle in Brazil.
21. And one place you want to visit?
22. If you weren’t in the music industry, what would you be doing?
I would own a restaurant.
23. Worst job you’ve ever had?
Selling life insurance.
24. Favourite record right now?
Randolph & Mortimer – Fantasy Land (Curses Remix).
25. And the best record ever made?
Björk – Crystalline.
26. One thing you couldn’t live without?
27. Your favourite food?
28. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
29. Who would you want to play you in a movie?
30. What’s something you’re passionate about besides music?
31. Favourite club you’ve played?
32. Favourite festival you’ve played?
33. Craziest story of being on the road?
A promoter in Mexico City didn’t pick me up from the airport. I ended up taking a taxi to the hotel and when I got there the hotel wasn’t booked. When he arrived at the hotel, he apologised, and told me that the gig is cancelled because the police shut down the venue the night before. Wow!
34. Weirdest request as a DJ?
Somebody asked me to play Britney Spears.
35. If you had one super power what would it be?
I would be able to fly.
36. Late sleeper or early riser?
37. Strangest video you’ve watched on YouTube?
I don’t have any videos to share, sorry, I’m not a massive YouTuber.
38. The top thing on your bucket list?
Buy a house, adopt a child, learn French.
39. Most memorable moment of your life so far?
40. Will you ever be done with music?
No, I’ve only just started!
Find more 40 Questions HERE.
Joyce Muniz – Flashes On The Floor EP is out now on Pets Recordings.