Croatian DJ, producer, label boss, and promoter Insolate continues to push her countries techno scene on a number of different fronts.
Alongside her own music coming via labels like Uncage, BPitch, Adroit, and Korpus 9, she has also put out tracks from Ben Sims, Francois X, joeFarr, Volster, and Pfirter on her Out Of Place imprint.
Insolate handles this months edition of our 40 Questions, where she mentions Spandau Ballet, Good Morning America, and Machu Picchu. Read the interview in full below.
1. Where are you right now and what are you doing?
Right now, I am in my hometown Osijek, I just returned from my 2 week tour in Colombia and am enjoying my fresh made Colombian coffee.
2. What year were you born?
1981. The Year of the golden Rooster.
3. Do you have a nickname?
Yes, my family sometimes call me Sunce (Sun in English), which is abbreviation of my name Sunčica (Sunshine).
4. What’s the coolest thing in your house?
My home studio, I love every part of it.
5. How would you describe yourself?
Persistent Croatian girl who happens to be a big gourmand, but on the other hand a workaholic too, and all of that wrapped in a warm personality.
6. Worst experience as a DJ?
Got booked for a party in early 2000, where no one knew why they booked me or knew what I play. What a horror.
7. Best experience as a DJ?
Playing a 4 hour set in Berghain before and after all the DJs I love.
8. Favourite record label?
Out of Place.
9. What’s your biggest weakness?
10. First record you ever paid for?
Tori Amos – Professional Widow.
11. What’s your morning routine?
Waking up veeery early. Shower. Checking all my emails and socials. Preparing announcements and making plans for the day. Walking my dog and then having a big breakfast. I love breakfasts!
12. Your dream collaboration?
13. Tell us something we shouldn’t know about you?
I love to watch morning shows like Good Morning America, even though I live in Europe.
14. Who’s your biggest inspiration outside of music?
My mom, big fighter, and an amazingly smart lady.
15. And in the industry?
Luke Slater, Ellen Allien, Ben Sims, and all the others who are constantly working on new things over the years and who spread awareness of techno as a lifestyle and not just a fling.
16. Ever smoked?
I stopped 6 years ago.
17. Ever done drugs?
18. What’s the best gift you’ve ever received?
I got pretty amazing gifts this year for my round birthday. My top two are my Apple Watch, which I cant live without, and a surprise birthday breakfast from my girlfriends.
19. And the best gift you’ve ever given?
I flew my boyfriend and myself to Turin for a weekend, to see a concert of Spandau Ballet.
20. What’s the coolest place you’ve ever been to?
In Europe, definitely Stockholm, and let’s say Medellin, Los Angeles, and Shanghai (if we are talking worldwide).
21. And one place you want to visit?
22. If you weren’t in the music industry, what would you be doing?
Cooking or travel planning.
23. Worst job you’ve ever had?
24. Favourite record right now?
David Lohlein – Red Mask.
25. And the best record ever made?
So hard to choose, too many of them!
26. One thing you couldn’t live without?
27. Your favourite food?
28. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
All kind of entrails and extremities made in China.
29. Who would you want to play you in a movie?
30. What’s something you’re passionate about besides music?
I looove cooking.
31. Favourite club you’ve played?
Berghain, I can’t wait to go back!
32. Favourite festival you’ve played?
33. Craziest story of being on the road?
It’s always stressful and crazy when your luggage gets lost while you are on the road. Especially if you are coming from wintertime in Europe to summertime in Colombia.
34. Weirdest request as a DJ?
To play some random non-electronic music.
35. If you had one super power what would it be?
I would heal with touch. Almost like Jesus.
36. Late sleeper or early riser?
37. Strangest video you’ve watched on YouTube?
I am more into the cute animal videos.
38. The top thing on your bucket list?
Machu Picchu, Peru.
39. Most memorable moment of your life so far?
Coming to Los Angeles for the first time gave me some teary eyes, I was super excited as I visited America for the first time pretty late in my career, and wanted to do it for so long.
40. Will you ever be done with music?
Yes, when I die.
Find more 40 Questions HERE.